Thursday, September 29, 2011

Edmodo

Touted as one of the 25 best teaching tools by AASL, Edmodo just might become your favorite social networking site. One of the best features of this tool is that students can create an account without having an e-mail (an optional feature)! Edmodo allows the creation of a web page that features a calendar, grades, threaded discussions, assignments that students can download, and simple profiles that students can create without much difficulty. It is set up to look similar to Facebook, but with a focus on school. Students can choose a profile picture through e-mail, download from a digital camera, or simply choose one of the cute icons within the site. They can also choose their learning style and future career choice to round out their profile.

Create your own site and/or collaborate with a teacher on www.edmodo.com. It's fast, easy, and it excites kids about learning! What's not to love? The web site itself says, "learn how in five minutes" and it's really true. I recently had a Social Studies teacher ask me about something fresh and new for his class. My answer? Edmodo! I had recently been browsing the AASL web site for ideas for myself. The students I have used it with are so excited to use it that they were through my assignment sheet in 15 minutes. At the end of the day I added two polls to ask them what they thought and I could see that kids had gotten on the site overnight. Not a single negative comment was written.



As with all social learning networks, the teacher has to closely monitor posts made by students.






No comments:

Post a Comment